I hadn’t realized how badly I needed to write STAR WARS SAVED MY LIFE (available on Amazon Kindle) and get the most important 20% of the principles that lead to success down in print, so that we can reference and correlate them. All of them are shadows of another truth that can’t quite be put into words. But this book, silly as it might sound, comes as close as I’ve been able to come.
“Do Not Think Dishonestly.” This is the first principle in Musashi’s Book of Five Rings, and it is more important than I can say. Human beings have a serious head-in-the-sand tendency, and when it kicks in, the amount of dishonesty that results can be life-shattering. Here are some of the beliefs that trigger this response
- “If I don’t know of an answer, there is no answer.”
- “If there is no answer, it is better to deny there is a problem.” (And it’s corrolary: “If I don’t like the answers my political opponents offer, it is better to deny there is a problem.”)
Here are empowering beliefs:
- It is ALWAYS possible to define a situation such that it is possible to win.
- For adults, the harshest truth is better than the most comforting lie.
- The “Mastermind” principle suggests that two or more people operating in harmony have far greater intelligence than the separate individuals. Therefore, harmonious discussion of an issue can find answers unknown to any particular individual, regardless of education or intelligence.
- The usefulness of a map is in knowing a) where you are on the map, b) where you are going, c) directional orientation. Thus the necessity of telling the truth, having a definite goal/purpose, and clarifying your values.
- We become paralyzed when it seems there are too many moving parts, too much to do. But if you simply deal with the “low hanging fruit”, the things you CAN do, you can always get to the “next step.” What are some of the first steps? Clarifying the current situation. Forming a “master mind” of people in alignment with you. Clarifying the desired goal, and…
- We must model success. There is no human problem so bizarre and unique that no other human beings have ever faced…and successfully coped with…a similar or analogous issue. No matter what your situation, there is someone who had less and did more. STUDY THEM. There is nothing sadder than a talented person who thinks they can “figure out” everything by themselves, eschewing the gathered wisdom of an entire species over thousands of years of written records.
- GOALS X FAITH X ACTION X GRATITUDE = RESULTS
I’ve never seen anyone, not a single person, who has applied these notions and remained “stuck”. Not even close. If you can’t change a situation, you can change your attitude towards it, such that you can find happiness…which is as close to the “meaning of life” as you’re going to express linguistically.
Just take one step a day. Just one. 1% changes, over time, will transform your life, just as compound interest builds a fortune. Your life, your time, your energy is YOUR fortune. Invest in yourself today…one step at a time.